Remember when you were in elementary school learning to write? Did your teacher remind you to think about the answers to the questions who-what-where-when-why-how? Those questions can be useful when you consider ways to improve your mental health.
● Who helps you feel better when you’re down?
● What brings you joy?
● Where do you find peace?
● When can you find moments of calm?
● Why are you feeling the way you are?
● How do you relax?
Figuring out the responses might help you identify steps to take to boost your mental health. When you uncover the answers, reach out to the people who make you feel better when you’re down. Do more of what brings you joy. Go to the places where you find peace and carve out moments of calm. Think about why you’re feeling a certain way, and then do the activities that help you relax.
You and your family deserve to be happy and live your best lives. And we’re here to help. As your healthcare partners, the team at Welia Health is encouraging all of our patients to focus on mental health in 2022.
Since it’s the time of resolutions, here are some we propose:
- Determine your answers to the who-what-where-why-when-how questions around mental health.
- Focus on your breathing. It might sound funny, but deep breathing has proven mental health benefits.
- Try one mindfulness or meditation exercise. There’s an online resource that can help called Headspace, and right now it’s free for teens 13-18 years old in the United States.
- Use the 5-4-3-2-1 technique.
- Download and use a mental health app. Last month, our mental health team pulled together apps they recommend to patients. Try one out in 2022.
Please note, these tools and suggestions are not a substitute for medical treatment. If you or someone you know is experiencing a mental health crisis, dial 9-1-1 or go to the nearest emergency room.
Meet our mental health providers
The Welia Health team of experts is always here for you. If you’re concerned about your own mental health and/or that of your loved ones, reach out to us. Welia Health offers Mental Health services at our Mora and Pine City campuses. Please call 320.679.1313 or visit MyChart to schedule an appointment.