This Healthy Shamrock Shake recipe is made with eight nutritious ingredients like avocados, spinach, and Greek yogurt and is ready in just 5 minutes! The perfect St. Patrick’s Day treat that’s naturally dyed green! No food coloring!
Smoothies can be a good choice when the recommended portion size is consumed. This recipe makes two servings.
Healthy shamrock shake
This recipe is very simple to make. Simply put all the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
Prep: 5 minutes | Cook: none | Total: 5 minutes
- ¾ cup milk (2% or whole)
- ½ cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 avocado
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup spinach frozen
- 10-15 fresh mint leaves
- 2 TBS honey
- ½-1 cup ice optional
- Add ingredients to your Vitamix (or another high-powered blender) in the order listed.
- Blend, starting on low speed and gradually increasing to high until your mixture is smooth and homogenous.
- Pour and serve immediately, and top with whipped cream or chocolate!
How does this shake stack up against the original from McD’s?
Compared to the McDonald’s Shamrock Shake, this one is much healthier—half the carbs, fewer calories, and loaded with nutrients.
The original (small serving): 460 calories | 63 g refined sugar | 74 g carbs | 8 g saturated fat | no fiber or nutrients
This recipe (serving size ½ recipes): 336 calories | 30 g unrefined sugar | 39 g carbs | 4 g saturated fat| 8 g fiber | 1900 mg vitamin A | 780 mg potassium
There are a few easy ways to change up this Healthy Shamrock Shake to fit your dietary needs!
- Greek Yogurt/Milk: If you avoid dairy, you can easily substitute a dairy-free yogurt and almond or coconut milk to make this dairy-free! I recommend using honey or vanilla-flavored yogurt. If you use plain yogurt, you will need to increase the amount of honey so that it’s sweet enough.
- Spinach. Use frozen spinach to make a thick and creamy shake.
- Honey: Use any liquid sweetener of your choice. Honey is by far my favorite.
- Mint: If you’d prefer, you can use mint extract instead of fresh mint; however, I love the flavor the fresh mint imparts in this healthy shamrock shake!