What do I need to know about the Delta variant?
COVID-19 vaccine questions answered by your hometown doctors.
Brent Thompson, PharmD, Pharmacy Director at Welia Health, discusses the Delta variant and COVID-19 vaccines. Jump ahead to hear his answers to the following questions. Links to specific questions are provided below.
- What is the COVID-19 Delta variant I hear about? (00:24)
- Will the current COVID-19 vaccines protect me against the Delta variant? (01:00)
- Why would it be important to me to get the COVID-19 vaccine? (01:53)
- Is there proof that the COVID-19 vaccines can keep me from getting extremely ill from COVID-19? (02:51)
Want to learn more? Hear from other Welia Health doctors as they address even more topics on COVID-19. Ready to roll up your sleeve? Vaccines are free and available—no appointment required—at Welia Health clinics and communities pharmacies. Visit WeliaHealth.org/Getting-Vaccinated for details.
Still have questions? We encourage you to talk to your healthcare provider.
What you should know about the Delta variant
Viruses are always changing, often evolving into a new strain, or variant, of the virus. ‘Delta’ is one of many variants of the COVID-19 virus but has raised concerns, in part, because of its ability to spread so rapidly. While the medical community and public health officials will continue to learn more about the Delta variant, here is what we do know.
Infections and Spread
- The Delta variant causes more infections and spreads faster than early forms of the virus.
- Vaccines in the US are highly effective, including against the Delta variant.