The slow cooker, loving referred to as the crock pot, has a long history. More than eighty years after it was patented, it remains a staple in American kitchens. With January coined the slow cooker month, why not celebrate with this healthy, no-nonsense recipe?
- Easy to prep and clean up.
- Set it and forget it.
- Adaptable for any diet – vegetarian, gluten free, keto, you name it!
And best part, with school sports and activities back, this slow cooker recipe is great for busy families!
With the weather turning a bit cooler from the mild December and early January, warmth and comfort will definitely hit the spot. Here is one our favorites, chicken pot pie soup! We bet everyone in your family will love it as much as we do!
Crockpot Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Crockpot Chicken Pot Pie Soup that packs all the creaminess you love from a traditional chicken pot pie without all those fillers. This chicken pot pie soup recipe is packed with veggies and made creamy with a homemade healthy roux.
Prep: 15 minutes | Cook: 4 hours | Total: 4 hours 15 minutes
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- 1.5 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 20 oz. frozen vegetable mix
- 1/2 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 large russet potato, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/2-1 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat or white flour
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Place everything for your chicken pot pie soup into the slow cooker. Mix well and make sure chicken is submerged in liquid.
- Cover your slow cooker and cook on high for 2-4 hours OR on low for 6-8 hours.
- With 1 hour remaining in your cook time, start making your roux*.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium/high heat.
- Lower heat to medium heat and add flour to butter. Mix with a whisk until mixture turns into a crumble. Remove from heat.
- Add roux to the slow cooker and whisk soup until butter and flour mixture dissolves.
- Place cover on slow cooker, turn to high if it’s not already on high, and let cook for an additional 1 hour to allow broth to thicken.
- Once chicken is fully cooked, remove from slow cooker and cut into bite-sized chunks. Add chicken back to the slow cooker and mix.
- Finally, add heavy cream to soup, mix, and serve!
Nutrition: Serving: 1/6: Calories: 318cal | Sugar: 3g | Sodium: 1055mg | Carbohydrates: 17g | Fiber: 2g | Protein: 25g