Health care home
Welia Health is certified as a Health Care Home by the Minnesota Department of Health. The certification includes all of Welia Health campuses – Mora, Hinckley, and Pine City. We are committed to using this team approach to healthcare to improve:
- Your experience while you receive care
- Your overall health
- Connections with specialists, networks, and community services
- Your medication, using Medication Therapy Management (MTM)
- Your Advanced Care Plans (Minnesota Residents, Wisconsin Residents)
A Health Care Home (HCH), also called a Medical Home, is not a building, house, hospital or nursing home. Rather, it is an approach to health care where an entire team of doctors, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, nurses, families, and patients work in partnership to:
- Coordinate care
- Improve quality of life
- Provide continuous access to those patients of all ages with chronic or complex health conditions, disabilities or specialized health needs.
Welia Health’s team approach is referred to as a care team, and it includes the following participants:
- Primary Care Provider – your doctor (MD or DO), nurse practitioner (NP), or physician assistant (PA)
- Care Coordinator – a social worker or registered nurse
- Spouse and family members
- Rehabilitation therapists
- Additional healthcare professionals directly involved in your care
The main goal for utilizing a team approach is to help manage and understand complicated health conditions and chronic illnesses to help you stay healthy and avoid unnecessary emergency department visits and or hospitalization.
Enrollment in a Care Team within our Health Care Home is voluntary. Your provider will suggest this if he/she thinks you would benefit from this type of care.
What to expect
Once referred, you will meet with a Care Coordinator to develop an initial care plan to:
- Develop your care goals based on your provider’s recommendations and instructions
- Address any barriers that may keep you from reaching your health goals
- Plan lifestyle changes to support your wellness goals
- Review all instructions and recommendations from your providers
- Discuss Welia and other community resources that may assist you in achieving your care goals
- Schedule follow-up appointments, make plans and communicate updates with everyone on your team.
There are many care team benefits, including:
- East access to your care team
- Personalized care plan
- Appointment assistance
- Medication therapy management (MTM)
- Insurance, Medicare or medical assistance coverage
- Educational opportunities to help you learn and understand your ongoing health conditions, treatment options and choices
- Cultural and religious beliefs are valued and considered when determining or administrating treatment and care
- Assistance with specialty care or community service to achieve your health goals and plan
For more information on Heath Care Homes, please review these Minnesota Department of Health online resources:
- Health Care Home Overview
- Health Care Homes Infographic
- Health Care Homes News
If you think this program fits your needs, please contact your provider or Welia Health’s Care Coordination team at 320.225.3576.