Scheduling an annual Medicare preventive visit is part of your Medicare Part B insurance benefit. This no-cost* annual visit is an important step to help you focus on managing your overall health and prevent disease while providing a valuable opportunity to talk to your provider about your overall wellness.
What does your Annual Wellness Visit (AWV) entail?
- Complete review of medical history
- Medication review, please bring all prescribed and supplements with you to your appointment
- Health risk assessment (a questionnaire used to measure your healthy habits and risk of potential diseases)
- Measurement of your current height, weight, blood pressure, and BMI (body mass index)
- Depression and/or other mood disorder screening
- Review of cognitive and functional abilities including any fall risks, hearing impairment and overall home safety
- Checklist for the next 5-10 years
- Appropriate referrals for health education, counseling or other services
- Advanced care planning
Your Medicare Part B (medical insurance) covers these visits:
- Welcome to Medicare
This is a one-time visit, completed within your initial 12 months of Medicare Part B coverage.
- First annual wellness
A one-time visit, at least 12 months after your “Welcome to Medicare visit” is complete.
- Medicare Wellness visit
Ongoing annual visits, at least 12 months apart from a prior wellness visit. Exclusively for women, breast and pelvic exams are covered every other year.
* If you find that you are in need of additional medical tests and services, you can schedule additional time with your provider to discuss any new or existing health concerns. There will be additional costs associated (including co-insurance and or deductibles), charged to your insurance.
Additional details can be found at Medicare.gov or call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227). A 2020 copy of the annual wellness visit guide from CMS can be found here.